Marketing Tips« Back to Ideas Collection
More Marketing Tips
- • Stop Them in Their Tracks: 3 Quick Tips for Profitable Content Marketing
- • Boost Your Marketing Strategy: Turning Negatives into Positives
- • 3 Types of Referrals that Will Grow Your Business
- • 10 Ideas to Help Sharpen Your Headline Writing Skills
- • Think Digital Is Where It’s At? Think Again.
- • Hook Your Audience with Habit-Forming Products
- • Make Your Brand Impossible to Resist with Fascination
- • How to Stand Out in a 3-Second World
- • 3 Keys for Reaching an Entitled Generation
Sell With Words That Inspire
You've just created the most ingenious product that the world has ever seen. It simultaneously makes you lose weight, look younger, have the energy of a two-year-old, all while converting your trash into $100 bills. You've created a sales page for your product, with a picture of the product and the words, "A great tool for everyone." But, the response...well, the silence is deafening. You scratch your head in wonder.
What's missing on your sales page is, well, a lot actually. Writing sales copy is both an art and a science. Before you put your pen to paper or start tapping on the keyboard, you need to have a solid understanding regarding these three things:
- What your product or service does, especially the benefits to the customer.
- What sets your product or service apart from the competition?
- Who your customer is, particularly what they want in life and how they spend their time.
Truly understanding these three things will make the rest of your job much simpler and help you as you navigate your way through the sales progression.
The Sales Progression
Every piece of sales copy worth its salt, regardless of the medium, has three phases:
- Grabbers: get the undivided attention of your audience.
- Description & Benefits: make them physically crave what your product or service can do.
- Clinchers: get them falling all over themselves to make a purchase.
Within each of these phases, you want to maximize the impact of your words because people lose interest fast. We've gathered some tried and true formulas for making your words count. Let's take a look.
Because shooting your prospects with a squirt gun isn't always an option for getting their attention, try one of these:
- Introducing _________!
- Exclusive offer for ___________ members only
- Free _____________!
- Save up to ___________ %
Descriptions & Benefits
Here is where you make your prospects really fall in love with your product by telling them how amazing their lives will be if they buy it.
- Poignant, memorable, your ticket to ___________
- Grow your _____________
- Boost your ____________
- Take control of ___________
This phase is essentially where you want to include a call to action - tell your prospects exactly what you want them to do. More often than not, they'll do it.
- All this can be yours.
- Want to save even more?
- Here's how to get started.
- Why wait another day?
The key to moving your products off the shelves is using your understanding of your product and your customers to choose impactful words that will grab their interest and make them fall in love with your product.
by Richard Bayan
Looking for a better way to say "authentic?" Words That Sell gives you 57 alternatives. How about "appealing?" Take your pick from 76 synonyms. You'll even find more than 100 variations on "exciting." Fully updated and expanded, this edition of the copywriting classic is packed with inspiration-on-demand for busy professionals who need to win customers--by mail, online, or in person.
- More than 75 lists of powerful and persuasive words and phrases, including 21 new lists for this edition
- Cross-referencing of categories to jump-start creative thinking
- A crash course in basic copywriting techniques
- Helpful lists of commonly misspelled words, confusing words, pretentious phrases to avoid, and more
Roget's is fine for writing term papers and letters to the editor, but when it comes to the business of writing copy that translates into sales, there is no substitute for Words That Sell.